Electrocution of Service Technician in Air Handling Unit
This matter was the result of the electrocution death of a service technician working in an air handling unit with an electric resistance heater. The technician came into contact with a live portion of the resistor section of the heater, even though the heater was “off”. The manufacturer utilized a heater in the air handler that did not have 3-phase disconnecting contactors, thus allowing one phase of the heating element to be energized, in spite of the appearance that it was off. Product liability and code compliance matter, represented plaintiff, settled prior to trial in 2017.